Saturday, January 16, 2010

Same Song, Second Verse

talk about deja vu!! my goodness. i thought i would use this post as a way to remember the last days before Jovie arrived & a way for everyone to keep up with what is going on with us right now.

we are spending night #2 at Baptist Women's hospital. let me back up to friday morning & i will explain what is going on & what we know at this point. i will try to make this the condensed version!

Friday, January 15, 2010.

i went in for my regular weekly doctor appointment at 11:15 a.m. my BP (blood pressure) looked pretty normal. my doctor asked me how i had been feeling that week. i told her that i had been experiencing headaches since Sunday & that Thursday i felt very nauseated & even vomited. She said that she wanted to send me over to the Labor & Delivery triage unit to have some blood work & urine work done. she said that even though my BP was looking alright, headaches & nausea are warning signs of Preeclampsia & since i had it with Jack, she wanted to be cautious. i went over to the L&D floor & was admitted. my blood work came back looking relatively normal but my urine showed proteins. my blood pressure was fluctuating. (which it did with Jack). so she decided to keep me overnight in the hospital & run a 24 hour urine analysis, do more blood work & monitor my BP. i began the 24 hour urine test at 1 pm. i was also given an IV (ouch!!) b/c my urine results showed that i was dehydrated.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

around 8:30 a.m. i was taken back for an ultrasound. Jovie was scored on 4 different things, with the highest possible score being 2 in each category. so the overall high score is an 8. well, our little Jovie girl got a perfect 8!! which is the best she could have done. they did not get her weight, but every thing about her is perfectly healthy right now. they could even tell that she has a lot of hair. her guesstimated weight (based on her gestational age) is 5-5/12 pounds. my BP has looked pretty good today, but my headaches & nausea have continued. i have been hooked up to the fetal monitor & Jovie is doing beautifully. and so far, no contractions.

my urine test & blood work were completed around 1:20 p.m. today. the results showed 320 grams of protein, which is considered mild Preeclampsia. with Jack, my proteins reached somewhere in the 400's when they decided to go ahead & deliver him. my doctor, Dr Williams, is not on-call this weekend. so one of the doctors from her group, Dr Chappell, has seen me today & made the decisions. when my results came back he decided that he would keep me overnight to keep a closer watch on my condition. i have a feeling he will hold me in the hospital until Monday when Dr Williams can see me & make some decisions.

there are a number of scenarios that could play out. i won't take the time to list all the possibilities!! we are praying that Jovie will be born before i reach full blown Preeclampsia so that i can avoid a more painful delivery & recovery. which includes being on Magnesium for 24 hours. i was on this after i had Jack & it was terrible.

we are trusting the Lord & we know that He is in control. we are seeking Him & asking Him to give wisdom to the doctors.

here are a few prayer requests. we would greatly appreciate it if you would pick any of these & pray for us.

*Jovie's health. that she will continue to grow strong & healthy. that she will be born with no complications & avoid any time in the NICU

* my health. that i would be able to deliver Jovie before full blown Preeclampsia develops & i have to be on magnesium for 24 hours to rid my body of toxins in my blood

* my emotions. it is VERY hard to go through this process. so far, it isn't as painful (physically) as it was with Jack. but it is a lot harder emotionally. being at the hospital on bed rest means i can't be home taking care of my sweet boy. this is the worst part for me. this is his 3rd night away from home & us. it hurts my heart to not be able to take care of him but i know i'm where i need to be for Jovie.

* that this would not be a long drawn out process with days of waiting for a decision. please pray that my doctor will make the best decision in a timely manner. it only gets harder with each day that we don't know & each day that we must be away from Jack.

* Jack. pray that he will continue to do well as he is being cared for by both set of grandparents. ben & i know he is in great hands & that does make this easier for us. he is doing great with them, but nothing is the same as being at home with mom & dad!

* wisdom for Dr Chappell as he makes decisions until Dr Williams is back on monday

* Dr Williams as she makes the call on what is best for me & Jovie

* Ben. i know this is just as hard for him as it is for me. he wants answers. he doesn't want this to be a drawn out process where my health continues to decline into full blown preeclampsia. he is ready for Jovie to be here so that i can begin healing & we can go home together. pray for the Lord to give him peace.

* our parents as they care for Jack. of course, they are 100% capable of keeping him. but i know Jack has a ton of energy & that requires sleep, patience & energy on their part!!!

* that no matter what, Jesus receives ALL honor & glory from this situation. may we be found faithful in Him. may we seek Him, love Him & share Him with those we can during this time.

thank you all for your concern. we appreciate your prayers more than you know. we will do the best we can to keep you updated as much as possible. we can't wait for Jovie to be here so she can meet all the people who love her so much! we love you!


Jessica Kenney said...

Keep us updated!!! Praying for all of you!

Katie said...

Will be praying! Let me know if you need anything!

Rachel said...

Yes, praying! Thanks for the update.

Lori T said...

I"m so sorry for you. Being pregnant, and having a toddler myself makes it easier for me to see how hard it would be to be away from your firstborn during this time. I'm hoping God will guide you through this time to the best situation.

Traci said...

Hey Audrey I'm so very sorry you're having to go through this again. And you are NOT crazy - I know exactly what you mean. When they finally decided they couldn't stop the labor and they would go ahead and deliver Eli it was actually a relief. We knew he was healthy (but smaller than Jovie is right now) and would be fine and the waiting and stress would finally be over. And I'm sooo praying you don't have to be on the magnesium. I was on it for 8 hours and it was beyond awful - way worse than labor. I don't know how you did it for 24 hours. Just know you, Ben, Jack, and Jovie are in our prayers! Love you!!